Pear Doyenne Du Comice is a very popular variety and is very easy to grow.It is a dessert pear, bearing delicious pears in mid-to late autumn.
Pear trees blossom extremely early in spring, so for best results grow them against a south-facing wall or fence, where they will be protected from frost. Mulch annually and water in dry spells. As with most pears, pick the fruit when still firm and allow it to ripen indoors.
Pyrus Doyenne Du Comice is known for attracting bees, beneficial insects, birds, butterflies moths and other pollinators. It has nectar/pollen rich flowers, makes a good wildlife hedge, has seeds for birds and is a caterpilar food plant.
This french pear tree produces good regular fruit with a sweet juicy flesh and a fragrance of rose-water. Excellent pollinator for other pear trees. Flowers in spring with creamy white blooms. Hardy tree and tolerates cold weather very well.
- Use:Eating. Dry, soft texture. Excellent flavour.
- Spur Bearer: Suitable for cordons & training on wires.
- Tree's growth habit: Strong vigour. Spreading form.
- Harvest: November to December
- Store in a cool, dry place: Eat within 1 week.
- Pollination: Must be pollinated
- Hardiness: Disease resistant