Skimmia jap. 'Rubella' (P13)
Click and Collect: Please allow up to 24 hours for us to pick and process your order. As soon as we have picked your order we will phone you and arrange a time to collect it.
An Post (Seeds Only) €4.00
A postal fee of €4.00 applies for any seed order. It does not apply to bulbs or seed potatoes or large boxes of wildflower seeds.
Nationwide Shipping Max Weight 27kg (including Northern Ireland) €9.00
This offer applies to most of our products online such as Christmas, plants, gardening, aquatic and pet products. Live Plant delivery charges are not calculated on weight but the space required per package to ensure safe delivery, so delivery charges may vary as some plants require more space than others when packed. In this instance, a member of our team will contact you. Our courier company delivers Monday to Friday and not weekends.
Pallet Delivery For Dublin and Parts of Kildare €25.00
If you have ordered compost, furniture that we stock here in Newlands, BBQ or if your order is overweight or bulky, we will personally deliver to Dublin and parts of Co. Kildare or 25Km radius from where we are based.
Pallet Delivery Nationwide €59
(For counties outside of Dublin & Kildare) If your order is overweight or bulky or fragile and your shipping address is not based in Dublin or Kildare then we will ship your order by pallet.
Skimmia japonica 'Rubella' is a compact, evergreen shrub known for its vibrant, aromatic qualities and its resilience in shady garden spots. 'Rubella' is particularly prized for its long-lasting, red-burgundy flower buds that brighten the winter landscape and eventually open into fragrant, white blossoms in early spring. The leathery, dark green leaves provide a striking contrast to the showy buds and flowers, making it a standout in mixed borders, container gardens, or as low-maintenance ground cover.
Why We Like It
- Striking Winter Interest: The red-burgundy buds provide color and texture during the winter months.
- Fragrant Flowers: The blossoms emit a pleasing aroma, enhancing the sensory appeal of gardens or patios.
- Shade Tolerance: Thrives in partial to full shade, perfect for understory planting or shaded garden areas.
What to Know
- Sunlight: Grows best in partial to full shade; too much direct sunlight can cause leaf scorch.
- Watering: Prefers moist, well-drained soil; water regularly but avoid waterlogging.
- Soil: Thrives in rich, acidic, well-drained soil; struggles in heavy clay or alkaline soils.
- Pruning: Requires minimal pruning; if needed, prune after flowering to maintain shape.
- Fertilization: Feed with an acid-based fertilizer in spring to encourage lush foliage and vibrant blooms.
- Red-burgundy buds opening to white
- Buds form in winter, with flowers blooming in early spring, typically from March to April.
Eventual Height and Spread
- Height: Up to 100 cm
- Spread: Up to 100 cm.